Although 1991 marks the first year of worship in our present church building, our congregation has a rich history dating back more than 275 years.
In the early 1700’s, settlers from Germany sought to establish a Union church in the nearby settlement of “Old Goschenhoppen,” located in Woxall, Upper Salford Township.
These settlers formed two congregations, one Lutheran and the other Reformed. They purchased 38 acres from the sons of William Penn. By 1732, they erected a small log building where the two congregations held separate worship services.
The log building was outgrown and a new stone church was constructed in 1748. This building served both congregations for 110 years until it was razed to make way for yet a larger building seating 800 people.
As the community continued to grow, this third church building was remodeled and expanded an additional 18 feet. This building housed our congregation until July, 1991. It continues to serve the Reformed congregation today.
The union of the Lutheran and Reformed congregations, with shared ownership of the Old Goschenhoppen Church, lasted for 259 years – making it the oldest Union church in the United States at the time.
In 1988 our Lutheran congregation separated from the Reformed in response to a calling to serve newcomers in the rapidly growing Harleysville – Lederach community. A groundbreaking ceremony for construction of a new 6,900 square-foot building was held in October 1990. We celebrated our first worship service in the new location in July 1991.
A new mission statement “Saved by Grace, Led by God, We Joyfully Follow Jesus,” inspired the people of Advent through the 1990's. During this time, many young families and new faces appeared, adding vibrancy to our long-time members who had navigated the challenges of growth and change.
Generations came together in the visionary “Mustard Seeds” study team to plan for our future. In October 2006, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for a $ 1.2 million expansion to add 3,700 square foot wing with new classrooms, nursery and office space along with other improvements. The following September, a dedication service was held to celebrate the expanded facility, which would be used in offering the community greater opportunities for social functions and Christian education programs under the guidance of a new Director of Christian Education.
For generations, the people of Advent have continuously served those in need in communities near and far. Please learn about this work by visiting the MISSIONS page of our website.
We are glad you’re with us, growing, and being a part of Advent.